City Council Regular Meeting May 17, 2022 PDF Print E-mail

CALL TO ORDER

Mayor Bruce Altznauer called to order the regular meeting of the Rutledge City Council on the above date. Council members Brenda Thompson, Tony Sells and Brandie Owens were present as were members of the public. Council member Adam Beckstine was absent.

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

Mayor Altznauer called for and led the Pledge of Allegiance.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Brandie Owens made motion to approve the minutes of the April 19th meeting as submitted. Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

Brenda Thompson made motion to move up agenda item number seven to be discussed as item number four. Council member Sells seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

PROFOAM SIGN – TED MEDFORD

Ted Medford advised the Council that he had been working with a company out of Athens for the sign for his new building. He handed out pictures of the new signs to the Council. He said they submitted it to Tara and the county is saying it is too large. He stated I don’t see that it matters. I wanted internal lighting but the ordinance says I can’t. It says there is a 10’ set back. There are two signs. One will be on the face of the building and one will be on the ground. We want to put the new sign on the ground where the old one is. Ted asked, do you know where the set back is. Mayor Altznauer said I think it would start at the water meter. Ted Medford stated if that is within ten feet then I will have to request a variance. He said it looks like it is a width of ten feet. Brenda Thompson asked how big of a sign do you need. Ted said the proposed sign is ten feet, the current sign is six feet and is not lit up. Brenda Thompson stated the ordinance does not allow internal lights. Ted said I can put lights that shine on it. Ted stated that he needs to address the lighting, the overall size and the 10’ property line. Mayor Altznauer said if you apply for a variance you will go to the County and then it will come to the City for final approval. He asked how to find out about the property line. Mayor Altznauer said he would find out and call him tomorrow. Ted stated that he could reduce the size to 8’ by 2 1/2’, and that will look tiny. If I go to the County, I will have to get a variance if it is too small, the lights we will just take off the table. Ted said we need to change these ordinances so they are not so restrictive. I will work on reducing the size. The building sign at 24 sq. ft. is not very big at all. He said the first step is to find out about the 10 feet and no internal lighting. Mayor Altznauer said he would have answers for him by lunch tomorrow. He said there is very little that can get approved in C1 with this ordinance.

MORGAN COUNTY SHERIFF DEPARTMENT – CAPTAIN SELLARS

Captain Sellars with the Morgan County Sheriffs’ Department addressed the Council and advised that they have requested a 10-flock camera system for the county. He said Flock is a license plate reader system. We currently have four in the county. He said July – August of 2020 there were a lot of car break-ins. With the Flock camera system, we can make an arrest quickly.

We now have asked the county to purchase 10 and I don’t see any hold up on that. We would like to add to that and get 3 more for Bostwick, Buckhead and Rutledge. He said we would pay for the camera and ask that the City pick up the annual maintenance subscription of a cost of $2500.00. It will be a good thing to make an arrest quickly and will prevent crime.

We would request to put one on Fairplay. The location depends on the amount of sunshine the area gets because they are solar. The information it collects is stored for 30 days. We use them for subdivisions. It tells you how many times a tag was seen in 30 days. We are excited and are looking to add to that. The original cost of the cameras was done with drug money. We will buy the camera if the City pays the maintenance. Tony Sells asked if it includes speeding. Captain Sellars said no it only records tags. Tony Sells asked what the time frame was. Captain

Sellars said not until after July 1st. He said probably 90 days after that. He said the City would budget for the next year because the maintenance would be billed a year later. Mayor Altznauer advised the Council that TSPLOST money could be used for the expenditure. Tony Sells said it is $2500.00 per year for how many cameras. Captain Sellars said it is only one camera and you need to budget it in FY 23 / 24.

FALLS SUBDIVISION COMPLAINTS / ENFORCEMENT - OFF ROAD VEHICLES

Mayor Altznauer advised the Council he had received complaints about kids riding golf cars, minibikes and go carts on the streets and sidewalks. He said it must be a licensed driver if they are on the streets. He said Deputy Kenny Smith stays on top of this. Now that we have the golf cart ordinance, they can now enforce the laws.

RECREATION DEPARTMENT BUDGET / ACTIVITIES – JENNIFER BUZBEE

Jennifer Buzbee addressed the Council and said that the VFW was dedicating Veteran’s Memorial Park on Memoria Day. This year’s 39th annual fair reaches far. We have 27 craft

Vendors, live animals and bouncy houses. We have plenty of room. We will shut down East and West Main and Fairplay. Virginia is collecting donations from the merchants. She said the Country Fair by far takes our budget. We also spend money on Halloween and Christmas in the Country. This past year we added the 150th Anniversary, we also had Mardi Gras and really want to see that grow. We also had Arbor Day and the Easter egg hunt. We make money by Vendor sales, Rooster poop and water sales. I have come to ask that our yearly budget be increased from $2000.00 per year to $3000.00 per year. We really need it. We now have $1400.00 but by the time the event comes we will have depleted our budget. I am asking for an increase of $1000.00. She advised the Council that they need more parade participants. Council member Tony Sells made motion to increase the recreation budget from $2000.00 to $3000.00 dollars. Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

PARK N SHOP / FAIRPLAY BUILDING UPDATE

Mayor Altznauer stated he spoke to Chuck Jarrell and he is going to begin demolition procedures. A letter will be sent telling them how long a period they must comply and when that time is up the County will them take down the building.

COMPREHENSIVE PLAN UPDATE – TARA COONER

County Planner Tara Cooner was present and asked the Council if there was anything they wanted to take out of the comp plan. Brandie Owens said she felt like we covered the bases on new housing with our ordinances. Ms. Cooner said on page 125 it talks about the Local Historic District. I would encourage you to keep it in the plan. It does not protect the buildings but it allows you to be on the National Register. To put protections in place for the buildings you need a local ordinance. I would encourage you to do one just for the downtown. The other question is your map. There is a lot of pink which is commercial. I would recommend taking out he large parcels, change the one behind Dollar General to mixed use. The comp plan is a legal document. I recommend you change the pink area to AG. Mayor Altznauer said this commits us to the next 5 years. Tara Cooner advised the Council she would update the map before the public hearing on Thursday by changing the large parcels to AG.

APPROVAL TO AMEND SOLID WASTE COLLECTION CONTRACT

Mayor Altznauer said the amendment is the price increase of $1.86 per bin that will be effective

August 1st. Brandie Owens made motion to approve the amendment to the solid waste collection contract. Brenda Thompson seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

DEPOT REPAIR – LOADING DOCK

Mayor Altznauer said he is getting quotes to replace the loading dock. The quotes will be to replace the entire thing. He said he will also ask the Garden Club to renovate the 3-D people.

Brenda Thompson said it will look better to replace it.

Brenda Thompson made motion to adjourn at 7:25. Brandie Owens seconded, all voted in favor and motion carried.

ADJOURN

____________________________________ __________________________________

Debbie Kilgore City Clerk Bruce Altznauer Mayor

Search

Calendar of Events

E-Verify ID # 185591

Date of Authorization

01-29-09

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack